/spak"euhl/, v., spackled, spackling.
1. (cap.) Trademark. a brand of quick-drying, plasterlike material for patching plasterwork.
v.t., v.i.
2. to patch with Spackle.

* * *

Universalium. 2010.

Игры ⚽ Нужна курсовая?

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Spackle — ☆ Spackle [spak′əl ] [prob. adapted < Ger spachtel, spatula, spachteln, to fill or smooth (a surface), ult. < L spatula: see SPATULA] trademark for a powdery substance mixed with water to form a paste that dries hard, used to fill holes,… …   English World dictionary

  • Spackle — proprietary name for a surfacing compound, 1927, probably based on Ger. spachtel putty knife, mastic, filler. The verb is attested from 1940. Related: Spackled; spackling …   Etymology dictionary

  • spackle — transitive verb (spackled; spackling) Etymology: Spackle Date: circa 1940 to apply Spackle paste to …   New Collegiate Dictionary

  • Spackle — Spack•le [[t]ˈspæk əl[/t]] v. led, ling 1) bui trm Trademark. a brand of quick drying, plasterlike material for patching plasterwork 2) bui (sometimes l.c.) to patch with Spackle 3) bui (sometimes l.c.) to apply Spackle …   From formal English to slang

  • spackle — 1. noun /ˈspæk.əl/ a) Any powder that when mixed with water forms a plastic paste used to fill cracks and holes in plaster. b) A plastic paste meant for filling cracks and holes in plaster. 2. verb /ˈspæk.əl/ a) To …   Wiktionary

  • spackle — [ spak(ə)l] noun N. Amer. trademark a compound used to fill cracks in plaster before decoration. verb repair or fill with spackle. Origin 1920s: perh. a blend of sparkle and Ger. Spachtel putty knife, mastic …   English new terms dictionary

  • spackle — /ˈspækəl/ (say spakuhl) noun 1. a quick setting plaster repair compound. –verb (t) (spackled, spackling) 2. to repair using spackle. {trademark} …  

  • Spackle — trademark used for a compound that is used as a filler for cracks or holes in a surface …   New Collegiate Dictionary

  • Spackle — noun a powder (containing gypsum plaster and glue) that when mixed with water forms a plastic paste used to fill cracks and holes in plaster …   Wiktionary

  • Spackle — Spack|le [ spækl ] AMERICAN TRADEMARK a sticky substance that you use to make a wall smooth before painting it ╾ spack|le verb transitive …   Usage of the words and phrases in modern English

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”