/sway"bakt'/, adj. Vet. Pathol.
having the back sagged to an unusual degree; having a sway-back.
Also, swayback.
[1670-80; SWAY + BACKED]

* * *

Universalium. 2010.

Игры ⚽ Нужна курсовая?

Look at other dictionaries:

  • swaybacked — [swā′bakt΄] adj. [prob. < (or transl. of) Dan sveibaget or sveirygget < ON sveigja, to bend, SWAY + bak,BACK1 or rygg, back, RIDGE] having an abnormal sagging of the spine, usually as a result of strain or overwork, as some horses, etc.… …   English World dictionary

  • swaybacked — adjective a) having sagged back swaybacked horse b) having sagged or hollow surface swaybacked roof …   Wiktionary

  • swaybacked — adjective having abnormal sagging of the spine (especially in horses) (Freq. 1) • Syn: ↑dipped, ↑lordotic, ↑swayback • Similar to: ↑unfit • Derivationally related forms: ↑lordosis …   Useful english dictionary

  • swaybacked — also swayback adjective Date: 1680 having an abnormally hollow or sagging back < a swaybacked mare > • swayback noun …   New Collegiate Dictionary

  • swaybacked — Synonyms and related words: bandy, bandy legged, blemished, bloated, bowlegged, club footed, defaced, deformed, disfigured, dwarfed, flatfooted, grotesque, ill made, ill proportioned, ill shaped, knock kneed, malformed, marred, misbegotten,… …   Moby Thesaurus

  • swaybacked — (Roget s 3 Superthesaurus) a. sagging, broken backed, caving in, slumping. ANT.: straightbacked, sturdy …   English dictionary for students

  • swaybacked — sway|backed [ˈsweıbækt] adj AmE curved downwards or inwards in the middle …   Dictionary of contemporary English

  • swaybacked — adj. having an extreme downward curvature of the back (especially in horses) …   English contemporary dictionary

  • Back (horse) — The back describes the area of horse anatomy where the saddle goes, and in popular usage extends to include the loin or lumbar region behind the thoracic vertebrae that also is crucial to a horse s weight carrying ability. These two sections of… …   Wikipedia

  • swayback — I. adjective see swaybacked II. noun see swaybacked …   New Collegiate Dictionary

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”